Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mixed vegetable parathas

So here I am with a new post. I have got into this dreadful habit of taking pictures of everything I cook, and not write about it for ages thereafter. I made these parathas about 10 days back. They're a recipe from my MIL. I'm not sure this a Gujarati recipe, but it is definitely healthy and delicious. They're easy to make and a favourite around our house. These parathas are very quick, the recipe does not require too much processing, boiling, chopping, precooking, just a lot of peeling and grating.
These parathas are my ticket out of guilt-land, when I'm too lazy to cook anything elaborate, because, as I said earlier, they're nutricious and delicious and take very little time to make.


Mixed Vegetable Parathas:

Two cups wheat flour.
1 grated carrot
1/2 grated beetroot(medium sized)
1 cup grated cabbage
1/2 grated pepper(capsicum, medium sized)
1 tsp ginger-green chili-coriander paste(optional)
A pinch of turmeric
Salt to taste







Add the turmeric powder to the dry atta and mix well. Add the grated vegetables, the ginger-coriander-green chili paste and salt to this, and mix slowly. The salt will cause the veggies to ooze water, so water is not required for this dough. Knead until the dough is firm. This time around, the veggies gave out more water than required, so I ended up having a very soft dough, and though rolling was a nightmare the parathas were very soft.




As soon as the dough is ready, start making the parathas, otherwise the vegetables will keep oozing water. Bake them like regular parathas, serve hot with chutney and raita.






1 comment:

  1. Looks lovely JK, simply wonderful, again kind of a one pot meal, you don't need to force kids to eat veggies separately and for a kid like mine, you can just give a bowl of curd and all done :)

    ReplyDelete